How To Use Stumble Upon To Increase Blog Traffic

stumbleupon

Photo Credit

Today I am sharing some tips with you on how to use StumbleUpon to increase your blog traffic. A lot of you may have heard about Stumble Upon but do not understand how to use it properly or what it does. This was the case I was in previously. StumbleUpon is one of my largest sources that drives traffic to my blog. The great thing about it is that it is so easy to use!

First I am going to explain to you how this social media platform works.

What Is Stumble Upon & How Does It Work?

StumbleUpon is a social bookmarking community that allows you to rate websites, video clips, articles, photos and much more. When you sign up you are able to “stumble” upon content by marking websites that you enjoy by giving it a “thumbs up” and if you do not enjoy it you can give it a “thumbs down”. By giving the content a “thumbs up” you are able to find more content that better fits your likes.  It’s a great source for finding blogs that you may have not found on your own.

How Do I Get Started?

Just like any social media platform you have to create an account by signing up here Stumble Upon. After you sign up you are able to customize your interests from the list they give you (they have a lot of different topics you can choose from) and from there you can start “stumbling” through the content.

Adding Your Posts

Every time you blog, add your post! It is very easy to add your page directly to the StumbleUpon website. This is what I prefer to do but you can also add your posts if you have social media share buttons on your blog. Sharing your post directly to StumbleUpon allows you to pick the category you want your post to go in and you can also add tags.

Important Things To Remember When Using StumbleUpon

• DO NOT just stumble your own posts.
  • DO NOT use it is a way of self promotion
  • DO provide feedback for content that you liked
  • DO like posts you are interested in

Now that I have given you a little bit of info on how StumbleUpon works, here are my tips on how to increase your traffic:

1. Stumble other posts often// When you give a thumbs up/down this will help Stumble Upon know where your interest lie and will give you more posts to “stumble” that are within your area of interest.
  2. Follow Others// When I find other stumblers that have the same interest as myself, I stumble their page by liking their content.
  3. Add a StumbleUpon button to your blog// By adding a StubleUpon button to your blog it allows other’s to stumble your content.
  4. Create Your Own List// By creating a list in StumbleUpon, it can help you get new followers.

I hope this was information was helpful in understanding how to use StumbleUpon to drive traffic to your blog. Are you currently using StubleUpon?

1. Kim S wrote:

thanks, I didn’t know how Stumble Upon worked!

You’re welcome Kim.

2. Rae wrote:

While I still don’t totally ‘get’ Stumble, we’ve recently been getting a TON of visits via StumbleUpon. It’s definitely a great tool for bloggers to use, even if we don’t really ‘get’ how it works. 😉

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Rae it’s really easy to use once you work your way around it. Such a great source for traffic!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply
  3. I had been looking for tips to understand and use stumble upon in best way possible. Thank you sharing.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Ratisha I hope this post was helpful in understanding how StumbleUpon works. It’s really easy and a great source for traffic.

4. Nicole wrote:

Great tips! Many communities like Stumbleupon really pick up on when you’re just using the site to promote yourself. I’ve been trying to get more involved in Reddit lately.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Thank You Nicole. I have yet to venture over to reddit but I will have to see how it works out!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply
  5. I really like Stumbleupon and I’m starting to get some good traffic from it. Doesn’t hold a candle to Facebook or Pinterest for me yet.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Deb, facebook is also the main social media platform that drives traffic to my blog. Pinterest drives some of my traffic as well. I am still figuring out my strategy when it comes to pinterest.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply
  6. This was helpful! I’ve been trying to figure the whole stumbleupon thing!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Amanda I’m glad it was helpful! StumbleUpon is so easy to us and such a great source of traffic to your blog.

7. Anna wrote:

I just started using stumbleupon as well, thanks for the tips!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

You’re welcome Anna! Hopefully it will be a great source for you when it comes to blog traffic.

8. Melissa wrote:

It’s also my number #1 traffic driver.
    –Melissa

That’s great Melissa!

9. lisa wrote:

Thanks for sharing. I’m new to SU, and excited to see some growth.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

You’re very welcome Lisa. I hope that my tips were helpful and that you see some traffic to your blog through SU.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply
  10. I’ve never heard of this app! I’m excited to check it out! Thank you!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Erin it is so simple to use and a great way to drive traffic to your blog. 🙂

11. Sara wrote:

Thank you for this post! As a new blogger I wanted to get into stumbled upon and this outlined it perfectly!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Sara I hope the tips helped! It’s so easy and a great way to get more traffic, especially as a new blogger.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply
  12. I needed this… I just started stumbling and I wasn’t sure if I was doing it right. Thanks for the pointers and explanation 🙂

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

I’m glad that it was useful! Stumbling is so easy. 🙂

13. Elaine wrote:

Thanks I needed this information… I just recently signed up but wasn’t sure where to start!!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

You’re very welcome Elaine. Once you get the hang of using it, you will love it!

14. Denita wrote:

Interesting! I found the interface a little challenging at first, but it did become easier to navigate. Your post would have been super help at the beginning for me.

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Denita I felt the same way when I first started using SU. I had no idea what to do or how it worked. After doing a lot of research it was so easy to use!

15. Kim wrote:

Just started stumbling and I am hooked…an easy, fun way to share your content and support others

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

I agree Kim, it is so easy to use! I love the fact that you are able to drive traffic to your blog without having to do much. It’s great!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  16. I know so many bloggers who swear by Stumble Upon! I’ve found it to be kind of finicky, but I also don’t do it that consistently. I’ll have to try some of these tips and see if they’ll grow my traffic from there!

Posted 2.9.16 Reply

Lauren it really has driven a good bit of traffic to my blog. The other great source for me is facebook but that’s typically a given. You should try it out and see if it drives more traffic to your blog. 🙂

17. Kusum wrote:

OMG this is exactly what I wanted, I recently started using Stumbleupon and your tips are amazing to make sure I use the platform right, pinning this one for reference. Note to self: not for self-promotion only 😉
    xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Kasum, I am glad that this was helpful for you! SU is so easy to use and a really great way to get traffic to your blog. 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

I did a post like this a few weeks back!
    SU is so inconsistent for me but it’s worth it for a post randomly takes off.

xoxo, Jenny

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Jenny it has been fairly consistent for me so far. I try to use it everyday, especially if I do not most on some days. 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  19. Great advice on how to use Stumble Upon. Definitely be forwarding this to friends. Thanks!

Thank You Jennifer! I appreciate you forwarding on to others. 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  20. StumbleUpon is such a great source of traffic. Not to mention a great place to find good reads! Thanks for spreading the word 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Dia it really is a great source of traffic! I love that it’s so easy to use as well (after you figure out how it works).

21. Vet Leow wrote:

I love SU! Recently, I am beginning to see traffic on my page sent from SU when I stumble other people’s content daily although I have only been using it for less than a month… 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Vet that’s great that you are seeing more traffic through using SU recently. It’s so easy to use and such a great source for traffic.

22. Joanna wrote:

I use stumbleupon every time I post anew blog post even though my WordPress account does not have a Stumbleupon sharing button. My traffic from there is hit and miss but I still add my page.. Great tips!!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Joanna I have been putting more energy into using SU because it’s so easy to use and a great source of traffic. Even if you do not have a share button the fact that you are able to get some traffic is great.

23. Siniciliya wrote:

Thank you for sharing! I saw so many people were using it but I could never figure out what it was for! very useful post

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re very welcome Siniciliya! I am glad that it was helpful. It’s so easy to use and a great source of traffic.

24. Cara wrote:

This is so helpful! I seriously had no clue what Stumbleupon was until just recently. Seems like a great way to find other blogs out there. 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Cara I’m so glad it was helpful! When I had heard about SU I had no clue how to use it or what to do. After doing some research months ago, I found that it is so easy to use. 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  25. Thank you for writing this post! I just starting using Stumpleupon this week. So this a great content for me to learn a little bit more. Great post, thank you!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re very welcome Jenn! I am so happy that it was helpful for you. SU is really great!

26. Cassandra wrote:

StumbleUpon is awesome and these tips are legit. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

I agree Cassandra! It’s so easy to use and a great source for traffic!

27. LaNeshe wrote:

I still don’t consider StumbleUpon a SOCIAL network, because there isn’t much conversation on the platform. But I like it to find new stuff.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

LaNeshe I can understand that completely. It is a great way to find new blogs and get some traffic as well.

28. Tiffany B wrote:

I’m still trying to figure it out. I think I’m over thinking it. I also am confused about the actual Stumble. Like what happens when you hit the stumble button I thought that was just to get to the next page. I won’t give up thon fight though, thanks for this great info!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Tiffany I was right there with you before! I had no idea what to do. When you stumble posts that you like by pressing the thumbs up and then stumble it is able to filter better content that you are interested in. Not sure if that helped any but don’t give up! It’s so easy to use once you understand it. 🙂

29. Mary wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this, It’s the one social media I just don’t get. I will be reading this several times over and Pinning. Thanks.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Mary you’re very welcome. When I first heard about SU I had no idea how to get it to work or what it was about. After understanding it, it really is so easy to use. I hope that my post was able to help give you some more insight on it. 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  30. The increase in the traffic is great but I wish it didn’t destroy bounce rate! Thanks for your tips

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Cynthia that is the only bad thing about it really. Hopefully when others stumble your post, they stay a little longer to read other stuff.

31. Taylor wrote:

I’ve never really understood SU! Great post to help learn how it works!!!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Taylor I did not understand it either months ago. I finally get it and it’s so easy to use. Great source of traffic.

32. Jenna wrote:

Thanks for this. I’m new to blogging and am looking for ways to get my content out there and share with others. These are great tips!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re welcome Jenna. Welcome to the blogging community! SU is really easy to use once you understand it. 🙂

33. Lee Anne wrote:

Great tips! This is one of my goals for this month!
    xo
    Lee Anne

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Thank You Lee Anne! I hope it was helpful for you.

34. Sara wrote:

Great posts! I’ve never really done much in Stumbleupon, but I’m going to have to give it a try! Great tips!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Thank You Sara! I know for some bloggers it’s a hit or miss with traffic but it’s so easy to use! I get a fair amount of traffic from using SU.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  35. This is the best post I’ve read all week! I get so confused with SU!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Aww thank You Jess!! I was also confused when I first tried using SU! Once I understood it, it’s so easy to use.

36. Chel wrote:

Thanks Mistle. Totally loved your post. StumbleUpon is really great and it boosted my pages viewed last month with one post, but it did kill my bounce rating. 🙁 Not that I really know what a bounce rating is. Lol.

Never thought about creating my own list. Totally will have to see about doing that now. As always have a fantastic day. Totally pinning this so that I can look back later. Cheers!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re welcome Chel! SU is bad for your bounce rate but it’s still good for traffic (most of the time). Creating your own list will help a lot as well. So glad it was helpful for you. 🙂

37. Katarzyna wrote:

i just started with Stumble Upon and it’s a little bit confusing yet for me, so I really needed these tips 🙂

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Katarzyna I am so glad that the tips were helpful. Using SU is a bit confusing at first but once you understand it, it’s so easy to use!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  38. Great tips! I need to get back into StumbleUpon. I used it several years ago but noticed it is starting to pick up traffic again. Thanks!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Thank You Marlynn. It drives a lot of traffic to my blog, which is why I love it. Hopefully you will have great success with it again!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  39. I love stumpleupon. I use it daily. It helps most with gaining traffic on the weekends.
    – Amanda Shuman | http://www.carrylovedesigns.com/blog

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Amanda I use it daily as well (unless I forget). It does great with driving traffic to my blog, the only thing is the bounce rate at times.

40. Amanda wrote:

Thanks for sharing this info! I’m new to SU and this is very informative!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re very welcome Amanda! I’m glad it was useful! It’s really easy to use. I hope you have good luck with it like I have.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  41. Thanks, this is really useful. I randomly get a fair bit of traffic from StumbleUpon, but I can see now I can make better use of it.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re welcome Wendy! SU has been really good with driving traffic to my blog.

42. Kate wrote:

Thanks! I keep meaning to tackle this platform… for now I stumble mine and occasionally stumble someone else’s post if I think about it.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Kate you’re very welcome! I use SU several times a week and it really helps with my blog traffic.

43. Brittany wrote:

Sometimes I do really well with Stumble Upon and some days I do not. I’m going to try out some of your tips and see if it helps.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Brittany I know a lot of other bloggers have said that as well. The only bad thing about SU is that it does effect your bounce rate. Other than that I love using it.

44. Logan wrote:

I love StumbleUpon! It is one of my top referring sites and has really helped my blog grow. I try not to stumble my own pages often, but Facebook groups definitely help ensure your stuff gets stumbled. Great tips!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Logan I love SU as well! It’s been great when driving traffic to my blog. I can’t really complain about it!

45. Morgan wrote:

Thanks for the info! Creating my account now! xx

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

You’re very welcome Morgan! Let me know how it works out for you!

46. Leah wrote:

I love stumbleupon and have a few posts do really well on it! Thanks for the great tips!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Leah I have had some do very well on SU as well. You’re very welcome!

47. Rhi wrote:

I’ve started using stumbleupon again this past couple of months and the traffic increase has been great.

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Rhi that’s great! I’ve had really good success with using SU so far. I can’t complain (yet).

Posted 2.10.16 Reply
  48. So true, I know Stumbleupon has offered me some great traffic and the opportunity to learn from many wonderful Stumbled content. Love it!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Rocio it really has been a great source of traffic for my blog as well. I know there will be some days that it does not drive as much traffic as usual but it’s still great!

49. Alix Maza wrote:

Just made a profile on StumbleUpon! Thanks for the tips!

Posted 2.10.16 Reply

Alix you’re very welcome! I hope that it drives traffic to your blog.

50. Chelsie wrote:

I used to use Stumble Upon ALL the time in High School! It’s usually a hit or miss for me. I’ll randomly have a post take off but it only lasts for a day and then it goes back down. Boo. The traffic is exciting, though!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Chelsie I had never heard of SU before I started blogging. It’s so easy to use. The only bad thing about it is the bounce rate at times.

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  51. I just got started with SU! This is going to help me so much, Mistle!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Summer it’s so easy to use! I hope that it drives traffic for you like it has for me. 🙂

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  52. I’ve seen some good results from StumbleUpon, though it’s inconsistent! Somedays I’ll get 100’s of pageviews from it and others, nothing. But it definitely helps!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Becky there are days were it does not drive as much traffic for me but it is one of my biggest sources for traffic. So it’s a win, win situation.

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  53. I am trying to use StumbleUpon more effectively! I have added the SU button to my blog posts and trying to remember to stumble others blog posts when I really enjoy them!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Jill that’s great! Hopefully it will drive some traffic to your blog!

54. Ashy wrote:

I have an account, but was confused about the website so I never tried to use it for my blog. After reading your tips, I’m totally going to try again lol.

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Ashy I hope my tips helped you understand it a little better. When I first signed up I had no idea what I was doing, so I stopped. After doing some research, I realized it’s so easy!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  55. I don’t have a Stumble Upon account, but I’ve been considering giving it a try. Thanks for explaining how it works.

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Beth it is really easy to use. I hope that if you create an account that it works well for you.

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  56. I do love StumbleUpon but haven’t been using it as much lately. I need to get back to it! Great tips for jumping back in. 🙂

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Brittany I typically use it every week. There are some days I forget to use it but it’s been a really good source for traffic for me.

57. Mar wrote:

I honestly had no idea what stumble upon was at first, but the idea sounds pretty cool! I know a ton of people get traffic from it. I’m going to start with your tips! 🙂

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Mar it’s really easy to use. I had no idea how to use it either when I first signed up. Hope my tips are helpful! 🙂

58. Julia wrote:

Great tips I totally need to start using Stumble Upon more. I think I will go create new lists!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Thank You Julia! I hope that my tips are helpful for when you do sign up.

59. Alicia wrote:

I love SU!! I dont have the button though, which one would you suggest?

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  60. Thanks for this! I used to use Stumble Upon before and have been meaning to get back to it. This will be very helpful.

You’re very welcome Francine! I’m glad it was helpful for you. 🙂

61. adriana wrote:

I love this! I use Stumble Upon sooo much but haven’t seen huge results yet, fingers crossed though!! Great post 🙂

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Thank You Adriana! I use SU several times a week if not every day! It’s been so easy to use and I love that it gets me more traffic.

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  62. I love stumbleupon! It has really helped me increase my traffic!

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Mine too!! It’s so easy to use!

63. KatyRose wrote:

I just started using StumbleUpon again after almost 2 years of falling out of the habit, and I’ve already seen huge increases in traffic as a result. Need to make it a priority for me and my blog. – Katy

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Katy that’s great that it has been working to increase traffic to your blog recently! It’s so easy to use! I love it!

64. Aliza B wrote:

I have really struggled with StumbleUpon. I don’t seem to get much traffic, even when friends stumble my posts. I will have to look into the making a list option, I hadn’t noticed that. Thanks for the tips. =)

Posted 2.11.16 Reply

Aliza I know for some bloggers it is a hit or miss but it’s still a great way to increase blog traffic. I hope that it will be better for you. 🙂

65. Tara wrote:

I don’t get the “lists”. What do you put in them? Is it like a category or a board on Pinterest?

Posted 2.11.16 Reply
  66. Very handy tips! I wish something like this was out when I first started SU 🙂 It can be such a great source of traffic, but they’re also tricky and fickle. That being said, I have found some pretty cool sites just by doing my “duty” and stumbling organically. The internet really is a fun place 😀

Posted 2.12.16 Reply

Christy when I first started with SU I had no idea what I was doing either. I did some research and found out how easy it was. It is a great source of traffic and a good way to find other blogs, etc. 🙂

Posted 2.12.16 Reply
  67. For the longest time SU was a mystery, but I love it and use it. Thanks for the tips, always good to see what others are doing and how they are using it!

Posted 2.12.16 Reply

Maria I found it to be a mystery as well when I first signed up. I had no idea what I was doing. I did some research and it’s so easy to use.

Posted 2.12.16 Reply
  68. This is super informative. I hardly ever use SU, because I had no idea how to do anything on it. How does anyone have the time to do all this though! I can barely find time to write my posts!

Posted 2.13.16 Reply

Lana I am glad that it was informative for you! When I first of SU I had no clue on how to use it or how it worked. It’s really simple. I agree that doing all of this and writing posts are hard. I try to use SU a few times a week.

Posted 2.15.16 Reply
  69. Rosalyn O. wrote:

This is great information! I had no idea what this website is all about and I see it everywhere! Now I have a better understanding of what it is and your post helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing :))

Posted 2.15.16 Reply

Rosalyn, I was the same way when I first stared blogging. I was so confused about what it was and what it did. I’m so glad that my post was helpful to you. 🙂

Posted 2.15.16 Reply
  70. Trenara wrote:

thank you so much I have tried for awhile to understand stumbled upon!

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

You’re welcome Trenara! I hope these tips helped!

Posted 10.10.16 Reply
  71. rowena supan sembrano wrote:

i am using “SU” for few months but still you gave me bunch of ideas about it.. now I can use this ideas and i know now how to use StumbleUpon better than before.

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

Rowena I hope that all of these tips help you!

Posted 10.10.16 Reply
  72. Alex wrote:

Thanks for this information! I’ve only recently heard of StumbleUpon and had been thinking about using it for my blog but had no idea how! Now I actually know what it is and have a better idea of how to use it 🙂

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

You’re welcome Alex. I hope that it helps you better understand how to use Stumble Upon. When I heard about SU at first I had no idea how to use it.

Posted 10.10.16 Reply
  73. Falon wrote:

I just started stumbling and it has been cool so far. These are great tips to take it to the next level!

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

Falon once you get the hang of using it, it’s a great tool. It does however mess with your bounce rate at times.

Posted 10.11.16 Reply
  74. I’m not a huge fan of stumble upon. It always messes up by bounce rate. However I’ve heard many bloggers that love it so maybe I need to give it another try.

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

Britanny Stumble Upon has it’s hit and misses. I will say that it does mess with my bounce rate as well. I don’t use it daily because of that reasons.

75. Rachel wrote:

Great tips! I’ve been trying to use SU a lot more over the past few months!

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

Thank You Rachel! After I learned how to use it, I started using it as much as I can!

76. Melanie wrote:

Stumbleupon has always confused me. I had the app for a minute and it would never let me upload any of my own content from my blog and it didn’t say why so I stopped using it. I’ll certainly give it a try again though if it will help increase traffic but hope it lets me post my blog this time.

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

Melanie when I first started using it, I had no idea what to do. I did some research and it is really easy! Hopefully it will work for you better this time. 🙂

77. Neely Moldovan wrote:

I feel like I should be paying more attention to stumbleupon but I get great traffic from it!

Posted 10.10.16 Reply

Neely Stumble Upon does generate a good bit of traffic for me as well. Sometimes days though it does not generate much.

Posted 10.11.16 Reply
  78. This is super helpful! I was actually wondering about StumbleUpon. I will be saving this article. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 10.11.16 Reply

I’m so happy it was helpful Elizabeth! Stumble Upon can be tricky when you first start using it but it’s really easy!

Posted 10.11.16 Reply
  79. I love stumble upon! Thanks for sharing!

Posted 10.11.16 Reply

Taylor once I figured out how to use it, I started loving it.

80. Justine Y wrote:

I pinned this so I could refer back because, as embarrassed as I am to admit this, I just signed p for StumbleUpon like, last week and I still have no idea what to do with it! Ugh. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with people like me, lol.

Posted 10.11.16 Reply

Justine don’t feel embarrassed! It too me awhile to understand it as well. They don’t really make it clear on how to use it. I did a lot of research on it. I hope these tips help!

Posted 10.11.16 Reply
  81. Thanks for the tips. Stumble upon seems so random (I guess that’s the point). Sometimes it gets me a lot of page views, and someday none.

Posted 10.11.16 Reply

You’re welcome Carmen. Stumble Upon is kind of tricky. It does the same for me as well.